1894-1996 The Duck Lake Boarding School opened in 1894 in the area between present-day Saskatoon and Prince Albert. With tuberculosis epidemic in the school, an Indian Affairs official estimated in 1910 that half of the children who had attended the school had died. In 1924 the Oblates sold the Indian Residential School land in use at the time and school property back to Canada, but retained the original school building, the church, and cemetery. A new school building was built about 1000 yards east of the original school building the next year. In 1949, a new school was constructed which became known as St. Michael’s Indian Residential School. At the school, overcrowding soon became an issue and through the 1950s, close to 260 children attended the school that was supposed to accommodate a maximum of 220 students. The federal government took over the school in 1969, turning it over to the Saskatoon District Tribal Council in 1982. The school closed in 1996. Two nearby cemeteries may have been used by the school, one near the school grounds, the other, the Blessed Sacrament Cemetery a little north of the former St. Michael’s Indian Residential School.St. Michael’s IRS (Duck Lake)

Operated by Roman Catholic Church
Additional Resources
Ressources supplémentaires